While many plants can be beneficial for indoor environments by improving air quality and adding aesthetic value, some plants can be harmful if ingested or touched. 

5 Harmful plants for the home

 The sap contains calcium oxalate crystals, which can cause irritation, swelling, and pain if ingested or if it comes into contact with the skin or mucous membranes.

Dieffenbachia  (Dumb Cane):

Oleander contains toxic compounds, including oleandrin and neriine, which can cause nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain, heart irregularities, and, in severe cases, can be fatal if ingested.


Toxicity  is due to a potent neurotoxin called cycasin. Ingesting any part of the plant can lead to serious health issues, and it can be particularly dangerous for pets and small children. 

Sago Palm

Mildly irritating to humans if ingested, causing symptoms such as mouth and stomach discomfort. However, its problematic for pets, as it may cause irritation and excessive salivation. 

Peace lilies

 Harmful Parts: Leaves, stems, and roots. Toxicity: Contains calcium oxalate crystals, similar to Dieffenbachia, causing irritation and swelling of the mouth and throat if ingested.


Epipremnum aureum Toxicity: Contains calcium oxalate crystals, similar to Dieffenbachia and philodendron, which can cause irritation and swelling if ingested.


Especially the tubers. Contains calcium oxalate crystals and other toxic compounds that can cause irritation, burning sensation, and swelling of the mouth and throat if ingested.